a message from my dearest Mama


January 08, 2014 is my mother's 61st birthday. It's her last birthday on earth, too. Her birthday in heaven counts one this coming July 16, 2015. I'm quite unsure if we celebrate birthdays in heaven, because eternity is something that can't be measured by years, right? (Yeah,  know I'm right.) But then, it's how we are on earth and I guess the best way to cure a longing heart is through reminiscing moments spent with the ones we love. It has been quite a year... we were struggling in every sense of that word. I guess there is no word to describe that pain of losing a mother. It defies all sad feelings there is in the world. But we are trying to make a happy celebration. After all, Mama is happy and at peace now. I know that God is taking good care of her.

Below is Mama's last written letter. She posted this on Facebook (with the help of her co-teachers). It's her last "Thank You" letter...

"I am 61. I feel complete and very happy. I have all the reasons to be. I feel I have the whole world before me. I thank God for the precious GIFT, “my family”. I have a very thoughtful, loving and supportive husband Flaviano Macul “boss macdodge”. I have handsome, beautiful, super bait children, my four jewels,Fragile Rosagaran Macul (geegile), a very responsible daughter and the best ATE in the world, Frailyn Rosagaran Macul(ayeth), who strengthens my faith in God with her fervent prayers, Francis Rosagaran Macul (eboy), the only boy and the only outspoken among the four, the friend to people of all ages, and Fraulin Rosagaran Macul (day ayen), the sweet apple of the eye of the family, reserved type but you’ll be amazed by her punch lines. I also thank God for my very loving sisters and brothers who are always there for me during my good and bad times and trying moments especially my Nang Josefina Hormachuelos, Ester, Sammy, Ditse Malen, Yoyong, Day Helen, Dong in, Inday Wen and their families, my ever loving nephew, Ta Jonaleo Hormachuelos and wife Day Edsyl with their cute kids Inday Nikka and Inday Reann who inspired me during their visits and my sisters and brothers in law and their respective families. My DNHS family who gave me their full cooperation and support so I can do my task as school head. To Ma’am Felisa Inot, Sir Jostol, Ma’am Jaclea Orevillo Rulida-Crodua, my OIC 1, 2 and 3, Sir Chanil Villaruz the physical facilities coordinator, the different working committees, my staff who take care of me in the office, Day Karen Corbita, my ever loyal clerk, Ate Jo, diligent school aid, Isabel Hingpit, the librarian, Tata Josephus Cogo, the multi-tasks guard, to all the students specially the SSG and CAT officers who helped in all the school activities, to the PTA who gave their never ending support, to the LGU for always catering our needs in the school, to the Alumni Association, to the Local National Officials and to the Dagohoy Bohol Folks led by Ma’am Stefania Digal Babael with the implementor Jaybee Salces who extended their support, for donating trapal that served as temporary shelter/classroom of the affected classes after the 7.2 magnitude earthquake and for sponsoring the prices of the Parol Making Contest which encourage the students in recycling waste materials. Most of all to the Almighty for giving me the chance to live and extend my service to my family and to everyone. To all of you, THANK YOU SO MUCH!" 
                                                                                                  -Virginia "Ma'am Didith" S. R. Macul

Dearest Mama Didith, 
I still keep those letters you've sent me when I was away from home. Somehow it cures the pain of missing you. I knew your handwriting by heart and it always gives me comfort because behind every stroke of each letter, is where I feel your love and care. 

In response to your letter, I owe my faith in God to you. Because when we were young you taught us our first Our Father and Hail Mary; you taught us to pray each night that our single Aunts and Uncles get married and we saw those prayers getting heard as the days passed by; you taught us our first rosary; and you always try hard each Sunday to bring us to church despite all 'reasons' we come up with. Back then, being at the church doesn't even make sense because I couldn't understand what the readings are simply because I don't listen. Eventually, your efforts paid off because as we grew older, we knew God and we began to understand our faith in Him and His faith in us. As we begin to know Him, we realized how blessed we were that you are our mother and that we belong to a wonderful family.

For the past years that we battled against cancer, our sole comforter is Him and though it is odd to say, we considered your sickness as a blessing. Because somehow, it has brought healing to our relationship as a family. We have always admired your strength in all those difficult times. Often times, we are amazed how hard you fought for us. You often say that we are your strength but the truth is, it is the other way around. You have always been our strength, Ma. Your courage always lifts us up and we are determined to never give you up no matter what the world brings us. We have fought hard and we fought well and for a period of time, we have conquered and we did experience countless miracles from Him.

For countless times, I felt God was with us. Even when I felt my faith was shattered when you left us, I began to know God in a different situation. And all those times I have felt abandoned, neglected and betrayed, His love stayed the same. 

The greatest thing you have taught us is unconditional love. The greatest strength you have given us is faith. And the greatest lesson you have taught us is to fight the good fight of faith... and with that being said, I want to thank you for all that you have taught us.

I love you, Ma... I will never get tired of saying this because I knew despite the time, distance and that vast space, we are connected by one thing that can never separate us even by death, and that is love. 

In time, we will meet again... and I can't wait to ask you if this letter made you smile.

Comments

Popular Posts