an article about my dearest Mama

Fifteen years ago, I wrote this for the school publication. I felt glad to have a copy still (imagine 15 years). I could still remember how I wrote this effortlessly. Words just flow from the tip of my pen and it seems as natural as breathing. Because I loved what I was writing about.

Dearest Mama Didith,
I know that you have always been proud of us... and I want to thank you for bragging about our tiniest achievements. Thank you for being a proud mother. Thank you for considering us as your precious jewels. It meant a lot. You never get tired of mentioning us every time you're in the middle of the crowd. Though it was quite embarrassing, especially with all those people looking at us, I treasure those moments you're standing there, talking about us. I will always be proud of you Ma... You might not be perfect and we have a lot of differences and yet still, despite all that, you are the best. Because beyond those human imperfections lies a perfect mother. I'm not good at talking, I'm not good with people, (which you knew and understand that well). But I'm quite good with writing... I know it is quite far from where you are right now but I believe you can still read this. Thank you for all those times you stood up for me Ma... You are simply the best. Thank you for teaching me what unconditional love meant. I love you to the heavens.
So, I hope you remember this article I wrote about you and feel once more how much I love you.

"SHE"

"SHE"

She may be the face I can't forget...
So goes the first line of this song. It's funny how the lyrics seem to fit the one whom I owe everything.

She was   my first teacher. She taught me all the things I need to know in this world - big or small, bright or dull, sensible or nonsense. She taught me how to speak out my first word, how to button my blouse, how to tie my shoes, how to smile and laugh and even how to cry. She told me everything about Him, made me love Him and trust Him with all my heart. she taught me about the ups and downs of life, telling me her happy, sad and even shameful experiences; like the trials and the lessons she learned in her youth (something like , "Never make the same mistakes again") and encouraged me to do better each time I fail. She taught me the importance of everything I do, the essence of being a lady and the most touching part, she taught me how to love by showing how she loves me.

I could never forget those times we had together, the good, as well as the bad times. How she laughed with my corny jokes, how she got mad and nagged when i did something really foolish (shall I say, from an angel to a witch), how she advised me when I was down or how she shouted at me when i messed up things on her table. It's nice to recall how worried she became when I came home late, how her face turned red when I drew monsters on her lesson plan or how she smiled when we talked about happy things; how she prayed at night for all of us to keep us safe from harm and how we talked about serious things.

Times were not perfect for both of us, as we were not also perfect ones. There were times that I hurt her and made her cry. I really felt bitter, disgusted, confused, disappointed, frustrated, depressed... name it all, I really felt bad because I knew I hurt her and knew I was wrong and yet, my mind still insisted that I hadn't done anything wrong. But through those unhappy moments, I've learned something. I have learned to understand how and what she felt and to consider others' feelings before making any decision. Most of all, I have learned to know and understand myself.

 She's kind. She might not be perfect but she's just the BEST. She is loving, no doubts about it! I am the living proof that she is. She's beautiful (hmmm...let me think) but of course she is! Her hair may turn gray, her skin may have wrinkles but she will always be the most beautiful woman in the world for me. She's the kind of person that I would like to become in the near future. She's not big, yet she could bear all the stress the world can give. i just thought she's Wonder Woman or Darna (Filipino version). I know most women are vulnerable, soft and weak but she's different, really different. when sadness fills my heart, she's there to comfort me. When faced with difficult trials in life, it's as if she's the strongest. I couldn't explain how she comforts me and yet, no one could comfort her; how she bears sadness on her own to make me happy; how she gives her strength when there's nothing left for herself.


I don't know how to thank God for having her. If there were words deeper and more meaningful than "Thank You" those would be the words I would tell Him. I am happy and proud that she's mine. She's the best pal that I ever have, the best teacher and... what else can I say? she's definitely... my mother!
n's Voice Vol. LIV, No.1


Comments

Popular Posts