a place

When I was young, I had this favorite place in our yard. It's where I always go since I learned the word 'horizon' because I've always believed that the sky really touches the earth at some point. And from where I used to stand, I can see the clouds touching the mountain tops which makes my dream of touching the sky quite possible (but first, i had to slide on a hill, cross a river, run through a field, climb that mountain, and that's it--quite complicated hehe). It's also where the sun rises every morning and it's always breathtakingly beautiful. There I can hear the chirping of the birds, the sound of crickets, the croaking of frogs, the sound of the wind as it swiftly moves from one direction to another and the never ending sound of flowing river.

Our house is located on the far side of the highway (that's the front yard) and on the other side is actually a hill. Yes, a slope. And down below is the river. So the favorite place I am referring to is actually the piece of flat land I stand on and a downhill slope with different kinds of trees, shrubs, rootcrops and herbs separated by a bamboo fence. And it's just few inches away from the walls of our house.

Back then, I used to talk to trees. To sing to them, practice my speech, memorize my dialogues... So my favorite place is actually my concert hall, my own theater, my center-stage hehe. And I got the best audience in the world. Trees are the most polite audience, you know.The most patient. They don't get to leave when you are awful with your performance or when your voice is suddenly off the tune. They don't get to shout boo! They're just there. Standing. Listening. Swaying a little.  And when you had your performance done, they get to rustle their leaves as if they were clapping. How I love them...

This is what I used to sing to them (I learned it when I was in the 5th grade):

 I know a place where no one ever knows
There's peace and quiet, beauty and repose
It's hidden in a valley, down beside a mountain stream
And lying there beside the stream
I find that I can dream
Only a place of beauty to the eyes
Cloud covered mountains towering to the skies
Now I know that God has made this world for me
I can imagine myself as in a dream
Climbing the mountains down a small ravine
The magic of this peace is quiet and forever stay
To make this place a haven each and every day
Oh how I wish I never had to leave
And all my life such beauty to receive
Now I know that God has made this world for me

It's really a nice song. And everytime I sing it, I felt like I'm in m favorite place again. Dreaming... Like my inner being is being connected with all those living things around me even when they don't get to speak. Like I can understand the world in a very simple way. Like I can get lost track of time just feeling happy of who and where I am.

I really wish I was young again...  Back to those times when fairies and dwarfs,  all the magnificent magical creatures and unexplainable wonders were real. Back to those times I used to dream. Back to those times I don't think much about life but just live.

Comments

Popular Posts