what makes us human?

Today, I saw a woman dressed in dirty clothes with a pail clutched to her chest. We were at the wet market when she rode the jeep and sat opposite to my seat. When the driver noticed her, he shouted at her, telling her to get off. The woman's eyes looked around frantically. She seemed anxious. The driver stopped the jeepney and pulled the woman out while shouting at her. The people around laughed especially when she tried to ride another jeepney and the same thing happened. The woman just clutched to her pail tightly when the people around began to taunt her. It seemed like they know the woman. It seemed like they always treat her that way.

"What a pity," said one of the women in the jeepney. "Doesn't she have any family?"
It was an awful sight. It was evident based on the woman's appearance and gestures that she is suffering from a mental illness. As what most of the people say, she is crazy.

When a person's brain malfunctions, does that make that person less human? Does that mean it gives us the right to humiliate her because she does not understand? Do we just treat people well because they dress well?

We tend to forget that what makes us human is how we treat other human beings. When you treat other people like an animal, doesn't that make you an animal? I think that's where the expression 'Animal ka!' or 'Hayup ka!' came from. It is our deeds that label us what kind of person we are because our actions speak for ourselves. Isn't it a little sad?

Well, I have lived long enough to learn not to judge people despite of what they do. It can be that they are going through a tough time that's why they are tough on other people. I know that. Because there were times I've been tough on other people too. It's just that... It is just sad. I guess, that's just how it is.

That woman may be someone else's daughter or someone else's mother and yet she was alone and being taunted for God knows how long. Nobody seemed to have any compassion for her. The people around were just laughing. It seemed that no one cares. It was as if there was an invisible marking on her forehead that says it is okay to just taunt her, push her and hurt her. They said that she hurts people. If human logic will be applied, isn't it obvious that she was traumatized and hurts people as self-defense?

People's thoughts can be funny sometimes. But it's not the kind of 'funny' that makes you happy. We always justify our deeds with crooked thinking. Sometimes I just do not understand people. I do not understand myself as well. I felt that she is wronged but I just watched her. I pitied her but I was not able to do anything for her. I hated myself for turning a blind eye. I could've offered to pay for her fare. I guess, I am no different from those who taunt her.

So I just sit still and my thought begins to wander. If there is just someone who can stand up for them... An institution perhaps. Money will always be a problem though. It is a simple act of compassion and yet I feel like I need a superhero. Perhaps I'll continue to dream until it comes true.

I really wish to see a better world someday. A world of people that sees beyond status quos. People who look at people and not just on their mobile phones. Real people.

Well, we are known to be hospitable, kind, cheerful and hardworking. And I know that we can make a difference. So I would like to believe that there is still hope.

Comments

Popular Posts