The Filipino Pride

How many of you read comments like "proud Filipino here" or "Philippines represent!" or "I'm proud I am a Filipino"?

It's all over the internet. You see these comments in Tiktok, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Intstagram. If you show any indication that you love the Filipino culture, or appreciate a Filipino, be it in a song or a dance, a speech, or even reaction, you instantly win our hearts and you will have a strong fan base. I think that's why Filipino-baiting is popular these days. It's not that we are stupid or we crave for attention. It's just that we always appreciate people who appreciate us. 

A lot of people could not understand because they could not relate. I could relate but I don't even know how to explain it because it's a feeling. Or it's probably in the blood. I also asked myself a lot of times why do we feel like this? Why does it move our hearts everytime a Filipino is being recognized?

I don't have an answer. We just feel it. We feel in unison. One example is Pia Wurtzbach, when she brought the Miss Universe crown. Or when Manny Pacquiao brought that belt, our hearts overflow with so much happiness that brings tears to our eyes. You know, when you're so happy and you could not hold it in? You laugh loud and sometimes cry? That kind of happiness. I didn't win Miss Universe, or won the belt but that "Filipino pride" just overtakes and instantly owns that happiness. 

I think that the word "proud" does not fit much. So I searched Meriam Webster and found the word EXULTANT: filled with or expressing great joy or triumph. I think that's more fitting. 

We are exultant. Because we are proud of who we are. And we want to show the world that we can make a difference. And we celebrate each time it happens, no matter how little it may be. 


Comments

Popular Posts